SRM console firmware etc.

From: <arno_at_utu.fi>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 16:51:09 +0200 (EET)

> instead of paying sounds like a typical software pirate attitude. If you
> do that and you get caught, you are likely to be prosecuted for theft.

Oh. I thought they make the SRM available for free downloading. After
reading the license file, that comes with the SRM console, I understand
it is fully legal to use the software.

I also understand, that the PAK -system is there to control the
software usage. For instance, you are allowed to use LSM command line
tools without the PAK, but not the dxlsm tool. There are also other
examples of this, where some operations need a license, some do not.

> purchasing it. Typically, the license is included with any system that has
> an SRM console installed at the factory or by the reseller.

That is true, if you buy a complete system. However, if you only buy a
motherboard, it is not usually the case.

> console firmware if you don't have a license than it would be to simply run
> DIGITAL UNIX because you borrowed a media kit from someone. It's theft, and

That is another matter. It is not possible to run DEC UNIX without a
proper license, even if you do have the SRM console. You still need to
install the license after installing the operating system.

> Although I personally believe that access to the SRM console firmware for
> any Alpha system should be free, the reality is that it's not, and until

The readme-file from SRM console tells:

"Digital Equipment Corporation ("Digital") grants to the purchaser of
the AlphaPC 164LX UNIX Motherboard a personal, non-exclusive, fully
paid license to use the SRM Console software ("SOFTWARE"), in object
code form, and its documentation, solely with the AlphaPC 164LX UNIX
Motherboard purchased."

I understand this means: if you have purchased a AlphaPC 164LX UNIX
Motherboard, you are allowed to use SRM console on that platform.

> Tom

ArNO
    2