(unknown charset) SUMMARY Sendmail 8.8.8

From: (unknown charset) Charles M. Richmond <cmr_at_koibito.iisc.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 07:31:42 -0500

Original Questions...

> ... mail to username_at_iisc.com either fails with :
> SYSERR(root): MX list for iisc.com. points back to koibito.iisc.com
> or with:
> SYSERR(root): iisc.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
>
> or if the Domain MX record pointing to koibito.iisc.com is deleted then
> incoming mail is bounced & deadlettered.

The solution seemed to be to stop using a Cw line in the sendmail.cf and to
instead use Fw and a separate sendmail.cw file. I do not know why the Cw
worked for the mail hub's CNAMEs but not for the domain.

It was also sugested that I use the TryNullMXList option. From the various
online references and from the info in the O'Reilly Sendmail book, it would
appear that this option can cause mail to silently disapear in some cases.
I was thus hesitant to try this except as a (not needed) last resort.

Thanks to: Harald Volz, Max-Planck-Institut f. Biologische Kybernetik
           Martin MOKREJS, Faculty of Science, The Charles University

> ***************
> 2nd problem.
>
> sendmail 8.8.8 always fails with:
>
> koibito sendmail[2289]: AAA02288: to=| /usr/lib/mh/slocal -user cmr,
> ctladdr=<cmr_at_koibito.iisc.com> (200/15), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00,
> mailer=prog, stat=unknown mailer error 1

Thanks to Jerry Berkman, UC Berkeley for pointing out the lack of double
quotes. I don't know if the need for them is a new thing or if the sendmail
version that DEC ships is just very forgiving. We have been using slocal
in .forward files from Ultrix days until now without using ""s and without
any failures or errors.

What a great list! I hope that my occasional contributions give to others
at least a little of the time and effort that I save as a result of this list.

Charles Richmond

P.S. Now to try to do anti-spam filters!

---
*  Charles Richmond 	Integrated International Systems Corporation        *
*	  cmr_at_iisc.com	cmr_at_koibito.iisc.com  cmr_at_shore.net		    *
*  Specializing in UNIX, X, Image Processing, and Communications.           *
*  One Longfellow Place Suite 3309 , Boston , Ma. USA 02114-2431            *
*  (617) 367 3151	FAX (617) 723 6861                                  *