10base-T woes

From: Charles C. H. Jui <jui_at_phoebe.physics.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 15:58:07 -0700 (MST)

Dear Alpha Managers:

We recently swiched our alphastations (one 200-4/166, and two 200-4/100)
from thin-ethernet to 10baseT networking. We are running DU 4.0B, and we
are up-to-date in firmware and patches as of November 1, 1997.

Since the changeover to 10-baseT early December, we noticed that from time
to time, one of our machines would grind to a halt. It would respond but
only barely. Close examination reveals no big process, no swapping
problems, and no extraordinary network activity. The machine is just
plain slow. However, everything seems cured as soon as we pull the network
connector off momentarily and plug it back in.

We have been unable to trace the problem to any known cause, and all our
attempts to diagnose the problem has failed. Has anyone else run into
this problem? if so are there any known cures?

Thanks in advance

Charlie Jui
Physics, U. of Utah