DEC UNIX w/enhanced security

From: Richard Blood <bloodr_at_maze.vsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:24:36 -0500 (EST)

What are the best tools for managing user accounts on a DEC UNIX v4.0b
system with enhanced security turned on but no GUI interface ?

We have experienced a number of problems using various command-line tools.

Whenever we use passwd to set a users password the user's account gets
locked and the only way to fix it is to use edauth and delete the entry
for numunsuclog. And only in a screen editor as the record for the user
appears corrupted in some way so that "ed" does not find the string.

Another problem has occurred after adding a new user disk. We've used
"useradd" to change the default device for directory creation to use
the new disk, we add a user, the user cannot log in. There is an entry
in /etc/passwd but the entry for the user in the protected database does
NOT contain a u_pass field.

Most of the DOC I've seen always refers to the GUI tools, ie. dxaccounts,
etc. I would like to use line-commands for remote management and scripting
purposes.

Any help in what we are doing wrong or a good source of documentation
would be appreciated.

Rick Blood
Vermont State Colleges
bloodr_at_maze.vsc.edu