Printing to AS400

From: <ronny_eliahu_at_corp.disney.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 13:50:46 -0800

     Hi Managers,

     I am trying to print from Digital UNIX 4.0B 4100 Servers to the
     printers on AS400, but with no success. The reports that I am trying
     to print are plain ascii files. I also tried with converting the file
     to EBCDIC and then print it on the AS400, but with no luck. Seems like
     the AS400 needs the file with all attributes. How do I do turn the
     attributes and what attributes to make it work? How do I make AS400
     happy :(

     Here's what happening "I think"...
     When the AS400 receives a spool file from another AS400 it comes with
     all the attributes defined. A job on the receiving AS400 receives the
     file and retrieves all the attributes and creates the spool file. When
     the spool file is received from a non AS400 system and tries to
     retrieve the attributes and doesn't find any, it then plugs in some
     default values. Since the AS400 plugs in its own values for the file
     name and user they are always going to be the same. The only
     difference is the User Data field which is the file name coming from
     the Unix side. If we are going to do bulk printing for Unix the AS400
     needs to read these attributes to determine font size and
     distribution.

     Report Manager can key in on User Data only. The problem is the Unix
     file name is not always going to be the same for the same report. The
     spool file comes formatted from Unix in ASCII. The AS400 can only read
     EBCDIC and there for can not use filters to search for data within a
     report.

     I have talked to IBM and they basically told me the same thing. When
     we send a spool file from the AS400 to another AS400 and want to send
     all the spool file attributes we turn on a flag (*alldata). We would
     need to do something similar on the Unix side to send all attributes.

     At this point the only solution I can think of is to look for some 3rd
     party software that might do this. I don't know if any exist.

     Anyone ran into similar situation? High volume printing from UNIX to
     AS400. Your help and comments are appreciated.

     Thanks,
     Ronny Eliahu

     The Walt Disney Company
     Disney World Wide Services