problems with rcNr.d scripts

From: Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs_at_mail.natur.cuni.cz>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 03:15:46 +0100 (MET)

Hello,
 I have DU4.0B with jumbo6 patch installed and experience strange problems
while booting server into multiuser mode.

  Here's a lot of questions and notes. Please reply to anything you find
interesting or if you know what to do. ;-)

1. When running in /sbin/rc3.d/S55inetd inetd with -d parameter, the
script ends with neverending loop (has to be cancelled).

2. I must say I also experienced probably related problems: RPC timeout.
portmap is running. These RPC timeouts were generated by inetd, and even
worse sometimes by S19nfs and S20nfsmount. So booting nto single user
needed 3 Ctrl+c signal (S19nfs, S20nfsmount and sendmail also!). Running
manually or just by simple script `/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q1m` worked,
there must be something in the original script.

3. Must also mention, that there are no messages in syslog, under debug
mode nothing interesting from portmap(I can't run inetd -d, even it does
not write anything interesting to the console). I such a stage, I can
only:

root_at_prfdec# telnet prfdec
Trying 195.113.56.1...
Connected to prfdec.natur.cuni.cz.
Escape character is '^]'.

and then quit with '^]'. If inetd wouldn't run, I'd get Connection
refused. It's not a problem of network. sshd runned manually works fine.
So if I cancel all those rpc using services (those 3), I can get to
multiuser mode, run manually sendmail. But not telnet into from outside.
But imagine, it sometimes get ITSELF working(inetd) in 15 minutes or 1
hour! Really, itself. And no messages anywhere, except RPC timeout.

4. Upgrading from jumbo patch 5 to 6 did not help.

BTW: ./dupatch refused to install 269 patch because I had already
installed 226 patch. Both of them were various patches to kernel modules a
header files..... I hope it should superseed 226 patch?!

-----------------
Part II:

5. While I was seekeing for problems in /etc/rc.config, I made by mistake
line like:
IFCONFIG_0="some_ip....""

Those three " totally confused the system. It was unable to find users,
/sbin/rc3.d/S11gateway was complaining
(ps: user root unknown ) or something like that.

/sbin/rc2.d/S05paging sent to console:
/sbin/rc2.d/S05paging:netmask: not found
Initializing paging space
swapon: options 'p', 'l', and 'h' not supported
paging/file is an invalid device or cannot be opened

A bit scary, isn't it?

It would be nice if the system would even before shutdown automatically
check syntax of /etc/rc.config. All scripts in /sbin/rcNr.d dirs don't
have set PATH variable. Almost all of them begin with:

`who -r` ......

I did not find anywhere from where should they get it's environment
settings. But not from /etc/profile, nor /.profile ;-)
So it must be done by init. But not from inittab in which init looks....
It would be better to user full paths in those scripts, I hope.

   I repaired /etc/rc.config but it wasn'tenough! rc3.d/S11gateway wasn't
still able to find any user in /etc/passwd. The file was 63kB, right
syntax, there was no /etc/ptmp.

   I temporarily solved the problem, that moved 2 links into front of
rc3.d directory:
Originally S26security and S27sia to S00*
This solved the problem.

Martin

| Martin MOKREJS - Net&SysAdmin |
| PGP 5.0i key at: finger://mail.natur.cuni.cz/mmokrejs |
| mmokrejs_at_natur.cuni.cz Faculty of Science, The Charles University |
| tel.: +420-2-2195 2315 Albertov 6, PRAGUE 2, 128 43, Czech Republic |