Summary[2]: Rescuing a AdvFS domain with one crashed disk

From: Fredrik Palm <frpa01_at_handelsbanken.se>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 16:22:04 +0100

Lots of people has sent me mails wondering how to get hold of salvage.
Well, as far as I know it's not to be found anywere on the net. I got my
copy from Digital Support.

Before overwelming me with more mails please read what Dr. Tom Blinn
has to say first.

Snip ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Snip
It will be included in the base system in DIGITAL UNIX V4.0D; in the
meantime, there is a kit for V4.0B that's available through Services,
but as far as I know, it's not on any externally accessible Web site
or FTP server. I don't know if a version is available for versions of
DIGITAL UNIX prior to V4.0B. It might be possible to make the "salvage"
kits for earlier versions available; I'll bring this to the attention of
the AdvFS file systems product manager and the appropriate engineers.

"salvage" is just one of the goodies that makes updating to V4.0D a win.
Here's some of the information from the reference page for salvage:

DESCRIPTION

  The salvage utility helps you recover file data after an AdvFS file domain
  has become unmountable due to some type of data corruption. Errors that
  could cause data corruption of a file domain include I/O errors in file
  system metadata, the accidental removal of a volume, or any I/O error that
  produces a panic.

  Use the salvage utility as a last resort. You should first repair domain
  structures by using the verify utility. If that repair method is unsatis-
  factory, attempt to recover fileset data from backup media. Only if both
  methods are unsatisfactory should you employ the salvage utility.

  Space Needed By salvage

  As the utility recovers files, it writes temporary files to a subdirectory
  of the recovery directory, and uses these files to process the on-disk
  structures it is reading. The utility deletes these temporary files when
  it exits.

NOTES

  The salvage utility opens and reads block devices directly and could
  present a security issue if it recovers data remaining from previous AdvFS
  file domains while attempting to recover data from current AdvFS file
  domains.

  The salvage utility can be run in single-user mode, without mounting other
  file systems. The salvage utility is available from the UNIX Shell option
  when you are booting from the Digital UNIX Operating System Volume 1 CD-
  ROM.

RESTRICTIONS

  You must be the root user to use the salvage utility.

  Before using the salvage utility, all filesets in the domain you are trying
  to recover probably have been already unmounted. However, use the
  umount(8) command to ensure that the filesets are unmounted. If all
  filesets are not unmounted, the utility displays an error message exits
  with an exit value of 2.
Snip ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Snip

Dr. Tom Blinn mentions a 'might be' v3.2 version. In the kit I received from
Digital, v3.2 and v4.0 version were included. Since I'm running v4.0
I haven't tested the v3.2 version so...

Also from Dr. Tom Blinn

Snip ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Snip
By the way, V4.0D is now shipping in the U.S. and perhaps world-wide, it's
not a "wait a long time and you can get this" proposition.
Snip ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Snip

And from Dr Marco Luchini <m.luchini_at_ic.ac.uk> came the flollowing
information (once we're into salvage and rescue)

Snip ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Snip
I have a kit called "recover" written by Allan Rollow from DEC which
works on UFS and it has been a godsend on many occasion.
You can get it from gatekeeper.dec.com:/pub/sysadm/recover.tar.Z,
just in case.

I haven't downloaded or tested recover yet so... I'll leave it up to you.

That should cover everything,
//Fredrik

Fredrik Palm Email: frpa01_at_handelsbanken.se
Svenska Handelsbanken Phone: +46-8-7011789
CDCT Fax: +46-8-7013145
106 70 Stockholm
Sweden