DIGITAL UNIX V4.0D is shipping in the US (with TCR V1.5)

From: Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646 <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:01:09 -0500

I have seen several questions lately asking about when V4.0D will be out, or
when Year 2000 support will be available, or when the "salvage" utility for
AdvFS will be available.

I'm pleased to report that DIGITAL UNIX V4.0D (with TCR V1.5) is shipping in
the U.S. I've received my update kit. Customers who have a media update
subscription should receive kits this week, if they have not already shown
up on your doorstep.

DIGITAL UNIX V4.0D includes full Year 2000 support and also has a large (we
count about 100) number of new features, including improvements in AdvFS (we
added the defragment utility to the base system and also added the "salvage"
utility), support for extended UIDs (32 bit user and group numbers), as well
as general improvements in a number of areas.

You can update to V4.0D directly from V4.0A, V4.0B, or V4.0C. If you are
not yet at V4.0A, this is a good time to move ahead, because you're going to
want the Year 2000 support sooner or later.

Note that if you're still on V3.2x (or earlier) and don't already have the
right to use V4.0x, you need to purchase an update license ("right to new
version"). If you bought your system after V4.0 was released, even if you
are running V3.2x, or you have a system support contract that includes the
right to use new versions, then you already have the right to use V4.0D. If
you bought your system before V4.0 was released and you don't have a support
contract that includes the right to new version, you need the update license
for your system. (The update license is less expensive than the initial one
and covers all of the V4.0x versions.)

If you need pricing information for licenses or kits, contact your reseller
or Digital sales person, or access our Web site (www.digital.com) where you
should be able to find a link to the information on-line (at least for the
U.S. market). You should also be able to find updated documentation and a
copy of the Software Product Description for the new version; I haven't yet
checked to make sure they are there, so if they are not there yet, please be
patient and they'll get there once the pages are updated.

I apologize to readers outside the U.S. for not knowing the availability or
web site pointers for those locations.

Tom

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn, UNIX Software Group, Digital Equipment Corporation
  110 Spit Brook Road, MS ZKO3-2/U20 Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698
   Technology Partnership Engineering Phone: (603) 884-0646
    Internet: tpb_at_zk3.dec.com Digital's Easynet: alpha::tpb
     ACM Member: tpblinn_at_acm.org PC_at_Home: tom_at_felines.mv.net

  Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work.

      Keep your stick on the ice. -- Steve Smith ("Red Green")

     My favorite palindrome is: Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
                                         -- Phil Agre, pagre_at_ucsd.edu

  Opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not necessarily represent
  those of my employer or anyone else, living or dead, real or imagined.