100baseT Alpha vs. BayStack switches?

From: <Jon_Friesen_at_notes.pw.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:46:11 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,

We're experiencing an intractable network wierdness:

We have 5 alphas and ~200 PCs on a switched ethernet network (using BayStack
28115 and 350T switches). This configuration has worked great up until a week
ago. Now (after adding some more switches and upgrading some switch firmware)
we are experiencing a strange phenomenon:

 transferring data (eg an FTP session) from an Alpha to a PC yields between
2-10 K/sec, or occasionally hangs completely
 transferring data from the PC to the Alpha transfers at normal speed, e.g. 100
- 500 K/sec

This cause of this phenomenon has been narrowed down to the Alphas---we've
reproduced the problem when only two alphas were connected to the switch, and
nothing else. My hypothesis is that we are seeing some incompatibility between
the alphas and the latest switch firmware --- has anyone else had any
experience with conflicts between BayStack switches and alphas? What kernel
parameters can I play with involving the ethernet card (a DEC 100baseT card,
device tu1)---e.g. frame type, fragmentation parameters, etc. Are these
documented anywhere?

Sadly, I am not an ethernet guru, nor even a DEC whiz (I'm an AIXer, sigh), so
don't be afraid to insult my intelligence with your answers :)

Thanks in advance!
Jon Friesen