DU4.0x Boot / SRM / ARC / AlphaBIOS

From: Thierry Besancon <Thierry.Besancon_at_lps.ens.fr>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:27:44 +0000

        Hello

I have to setup some DIGITAL Personnal Workstation Series a 500.
These boxes came with NT installed but we're switching to DU4.0x.
Thus I need to install DU 4.0c.
(please don't tell me to go to linux, that's not the point ; linux
can't do what we want to do so DU is the only thing left)

The problem is that I can't manage to boot something else than microsoft
NT stuff. The PWS500 doesn't recognize a DU 4.0x system disk.

What I don't understand is the monitor I get at the power-on.
It is called "AlphaBIOS", version 5.33.
It is very different from what I have on other PWS500 au (note the u like in
unix). This one is all kinda graphical, very microsoft windowish.

I think my problem has something to see with this monitor.
I fear the prom is set on a windows NT boot instead of a Unix boot.
I couldn't find any means to get to the unix way of boot.
I updated the firmware in case it could bring me to the monitor for
unix but I just got back to the AlphaBIOS. I searched on the ftp site
of DIGITAL for some tools but I couldn't find any. Nothing in the FAQ
as well.

So does anybody know how to revert to the "unix" monitor instead of the
"NT" monitor ? Does it help in booting DU ?
(I have POST v4.45 and AlphaBIOS 5.33 at the moment).

Another question not so far from this one too :
I've never found explications on what is SRM, ARC.
It is clear it has to see with the firmware and the monitor mode
but what else ? What does the acronym means ? how does one switch
from one mode to another ? is it possible to switch from one to
another ?

Thanks in advance for any piece of help.

Best regards.

        Thierry Besancon