IP-aliases

From: <Uwe.Buecher_at_degussa.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:17:42 +0100

Hi OSF managers,

on our DigitalUNIX machines we are often using IP-aliases. We have defined
logical services and every service gets his own IP-address. So we can move the
service and the IP-address to another machine.

The problem we have is that the sender address in the IP-packets is not the
alias address but the primary IP address we have defined for the interface.
This gives problems with communications over firewalls, because we have to
define two different addresses one for incoming and one for outgoing. Another
problem is with mailing servers which compair reverse and forward name
resolution.

My Question is :

Is there a way to get the alias IP-address into the sender field of the
IP-packets ?

Greetings

Uwe Buecher
Degussa AG, INF-KS-AS