SUMMARY: Cannot start Netscape Server

From: Fredy Villa <fredyvilla_at_w3link.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:43:34 -0500

Thanks to everyone who helped. My original message was:

--------------------------------
>> In my last message I was not clear. Sorry for that.
>>
>> > Managers,
>> >
>> > I installed Netscape Enterprise Server 3.01 for DU4.0b, I am able
>> > start the web servers through the command line by doing
>> > Server_root/https-Server/start If I try to use the Admin utility from
>> > the browser, I get the error:
>> > Could not bind to IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 80 (Bad file number).
>>
>> What I meant was that I get the error when I try to use the Admin
>> utility to start the server. I have no problems getting to the admin
>> server on the admin port.

After checking the logs I found that the admin server could not read the
basic-password file admpass. I made sure admpass was owned by root and
re-started the server. That fixed the problem. (ALthough I don't know
why I got a 'could not bind to ip' error)

Fredy Villa