SUMMARY:reiterate mails

From: Antonia Gomez <antonia_at_fib.upc.es>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:25:38 +0100

My original question :

Two week ago We hastened the quotas in the partition of spool of mail
for to limit the quota of mails of users.
Now We have a problem, when some users receive mails of distribution
list and one of them have disc quota exceeded, in every attempt of
re-sending,
the other users that haven't problems of quota, receive this mail.
So , the users that haven't problems of quota receive the same mail
20 or 30 times then this users exceed theirs quotas.
This problem can to be the bad configuration of sendmail?
 or
the bad configuration of distribution list?

Thanks at : Jerome M Berkman <jerry_at_uclink.berkeley.edu>,
        Spider Boardman <spider_at_Orb.Nashua.NH.US>,
        Sherif Shawky <sshawky_at_idsc.gov.eg> and
         bchill_at_bch.net (Brian C Hill)

The solution:
The problem is with the "m" flag in the local delivery agent in your
sendmail.cf. You probably have something like:

Mlocal, P=/usr/local/lib/mail.local-8.7, F=lsDFMrmn, S=10, R=20/40,

delete the "m" in "F=":

Mlocal, P=/usr/local/lib/mail.local-8.7, F=lsDFMrn, S=10, R=20/40,

Now you will run a separate delivery agent for each local recipient,
allowing sendmail to know whether or not the delivery to that recipient
was successful.

In addition, we have made over-quota errors fatal errors. We use
mail.local, which is included in the sendmail distribution, as our
local delivery agent. It normally reports over-quota errors as
temporary errors, so that sendmail requeues the mail to retry later.

In our experience this almost never works. Most people are over-quota
because they haven't read their mail for quite a while. So we have
modified mail.local to report over-quota errors as unrecoverable errors.

I think this is much better. It works much better against mail bombs,
and provides correspondents much faster notification that the recipient
did not get the message. We have been doing this for four years and
have have had no complaints about this from our 30,000+ users. Another
Berkeley machine requeues after quota errors, and they have had several
problems because of it. (But then they run Solaris, so the public
domain mail.local won't work).

If you have POP users, make sure the POP intermediate file is in a
separate file system, or your POP users will have problems due to
quotas.

The change to mail.local.c is to have e_to_sys separately check
for quota errors:

void
e_to_sys(num)
        int num;
{
        /* UCB patch - want nonrecoverable failure for quota exceeded */
        if( num == EDQUOT ) { /* Disc quota exceeded */
                eval = EX_UNAVAILABLE;
                return;
        }

Thnaks : - Jerry Berkman, UC Berkeley