SUMMARY

From: Darryl V. Pace <dpace_at_tacticsus.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 08:55:07 -0500

Firstly, thank you, everyone that sent replies to my questions
concerning
the disk problems I was experiencing. My original question was:

> Managers,
> I am having continuing disk problems. I am working with several
disks that
> are hardware striped. The stripe appears to the operating system as
one huge
> (24 Gig) disk. When I try to label or manually format the disk, for
certain
> partitions, I get the following error:
>
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: Open partition would move or shrink
>
> For a couple of the partitions I do not get this error. By the way, I
am working
> on OSF1 Version 4.0.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why this might happen?

Each of the responses I received was helpful. They all hinted to the
fact that there
was probably some process that had one of the partitions on the disk
open. It turns
out that LSM still thought that the disk was under its control, and had
the disk online.
We took the disk offline under LSM and that seemed to solve the problem.

Darryl