SUMMARY: NCR 810A as second SCSI controller

From: Gerhard Horak <gerhard.horak_at_aut.alcatel.at>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 17:52:57 +0100 (MET)

On 3 Feb, Rene Martinez <martinez_at_intraserver.com> wrote:

> Try IntraServer Technology, Inc. at http://www.intraserver.com for Alpha SCSI
> solutions. Our ITI-3140U-U will work for you.

So my conclusions are that in our systems (ordered in October,
delivered end of December) a NCR 810A based controller is supported
because the only officially supported secondary controller is the KZPAA
which is based on that chip. For any currently available new systems no
secondary controller and therefore no external SCSI devices are
supported. Only third party solutions for external SCSI devices are
available currently.

Nevertheless I did try today another NCR 810A chip based controller
after I found out that the one I used the last time must be faulty
because SCSI probing with this controller also hangs in a PC. I plugged
in an ASUS SC-200 (810A chip but active termination instead of
passive). This time both the controller and the connected DAT drive
were recognized by the monitor and the machine booted successfully with
the GENERIC kernel. I could then build a customized kernel which also
allows me to access the tape drive without any further hassle.

Thank you for all your hints

        Gerhard
--
+-- Email: Gerhard.Horak_at_aut.alcatel.at --------------------------------------+
| Gerhard Horak                                                               |