SUMMARY Re: APC UPS : ok with Alpha ?

From: Lucio Chiappetti <lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 09:39:56 +0100 (MET)

I asked about any problem encountered using APC UPS with powerchute s/w in
conjunction with Alphas. I got 5 replies unanimously in favour of such UPS.

Thanks to :
Mike Iglesias, Paul Kitwin, Tom Webster, Claudia A T C Burg, Bill Bennett

Notble comments and suggestions received :

  - use second serial port for UPS (first might be needed for console)

  - do not put monitor on UPS if you want to extend battery backed period
    from 15 min to 1 hr.

  - s/w very easy to use, UPS parameters may require some tuning depending
    on quality of local power supply

I will now try the installation. I also found a nice web site of APC at
www.apcc.com.

My only doubt is on the best directory for installation. Default is under
/usr/lib, but manual suggests usage of a directory on the / partition if /usr
is a separate filesystem. I actually do not like keeping non-system s/w on
system disks (I generally put this stuff on separate disks and soft link it,
so that in case of system reinstallation it's still there), but I guess in
this case it is not acceptable since shutdown requires access to the system
disk. Probably we'll make a backup copy somewhere else (we have to surrender
the CD ... the UPs came with a NT CD-ROM each, but we have only one Unix CD
which we have to give back to our parent organization).

Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR - via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
For more info : http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/~lucio/personal.html