asking for advice on UNIX system disk mirroring

From: es salazar <essalazar_at_kktv.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 16:53:34 -0700

hello and help.

i am planning my purchase of an alpha 4100 and UNIX 4.0 and i must list
the software i need . I will be buying disks and memory as needed to
support in part my need for vms like disk shadowing. i know i want
system disk mirroring (assume it is like vms disk shadowing). my
dilemma: i have been advised not use lsm for mirroring a system disk. I
have been advised this is ok for data disks, but not the system disk. if
i take this advice:
- does advfs provide disk to disk shadowing? how?
- opinions on using lsm to disk to disk shadow of a system disk?
- if advfs is free, but you have buy utilities and gui - is it worth it?
- is lsm free? or is there a gotcha like advfs utilities and gui?

hope some one can help me understand.
thanks. emanuel.salazar_at_mci.com