SUMMARY (#2): stochastic syslogging (!!)

From: Mark Bartelt <mark_at_cita.utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:51:57 -0500

A short while ago, I wrote ...

>> Well, that was fast! A number of replies have arrived already. The first,
>> and (thus far) most helpful came from Debra Alpert <alpert_at_fas.harvard.edu>,
>> [ ... ]

And actually, the ever helpful Ms. Alpert has written again, to let me know that

>> I've looked through the latest logs, and I haven't seen any misplaced
>> messages on our loghost coming from the patched machines. Such messages
>> usually occur about 10% of the time. It can't be just coincidence; the
>> patch_kit works as advertised for this problem.

So that, as they say, seems to pretty much wrap this one up (aside from the issue
of whether 4.0d includes the fix). Thanks again to all who replied.

Mark Bartelt 416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for mark_at_cita.utoronto.ca
Theoretical Astrophysics http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~mark

"Sheep not busy being shorn are busy frying" -- Dylan, at a NZ lamb barbecue
               [ singing "It's all right, ma (I'm only bleating)" ]