telnet on 4.0a

From: Steve Wilson <Steve.Wilson_at_itron.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:55:14 -0800

I have an Alpha 1000a running 4.0a Unix with a Fore Systems PCA200EUX ATM
adaptor card. Intermittently telnet sessions fail to work, creating an
error - Segmentation Fault and producing a core dump prior to connecting to
the remote end. It even does this on a telnet 0. If I su to any other user,
telnet seems to work. I have set up rsh sessions which have not failed.
Often if I wait a few minutes, the telnet sessions will run without error,
but this is not consistent either. Most of the time when I run into the
problem, the only other telnet session co-currently running is a single
root session, but I can not guarantee this is always the case.

I have tried renaming the telnet command and putting a new copy into the
/usr/bin subdirectory from a different source. Same problem.

I do not have this problem on 4.0a 255's running 10 Mb ethernet.

Neither Fore nor Digital have been able to give an explanation. I am
running the Fore v4.02 (1.19) driver with a sleep 10 fix to give it more
time to connect on system reboots. I have not had any communication
problems after telnet sessions or ftp sessions are established.

Any ideas?

steve.wilson_at_itron.com