SUMMARY: Upgrade to 4.0D with system disk on Intraserver controller ...

From: Thomas Leitner <tom_at_finwds01.tu-graz.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:11:32 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

Well: IntraServer already has an updated driver specifically for
Digital Unix 4.0D. This is in contrast to what their WEB pages say,
but their support people are very helpful and they've just sent
me the new driver version which is 1.0.20.

Then I went ahead and just upgraded the system with
"/sbin/installupdate -s /CDROM" but I made a mistake: I forgot to remove
the IntraServer driver *before* running installupdate. This lead to an
unbuildable kernel!! So the correct procedure for the upgrade is:

- boot into single user mode with "boot -fl s"
- remove the Intraserver driver with "setld -d ITPSABIN100"
- run the upgrade procedure with /sbin/installupdate
- after the reboot and the initial kernel rebuild and subset
  configuration, install the new Intraserver driver and
  rebuild the kernel

Thanks to: rye <rye_at_jtasc.acom.mil>

and as usual:

           "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>

Tom

------------------------- Original posting -------------------------

Hi,

I'm currently preparing the upgrade of our main machine to V4.0D.
The only question left is, whether or not it is possible to upgrade
the operating system with the root disk running on an IntraServer
ITI3140U controller.

The IntraServer site says that they only support 4.0B but I hope that
their driver will run under V4.0D as well.

So my questions:

- does it run anyway?
- will I need to re-install the driver or will the driver files be
  automatically included in the new kernel after the upgrade?
- any success/horror stories anyone?

Thanks a lot -- Tom