Improving Graphics Performance

From: Allen David Winter <winterz_at_clark.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:36:15 -0500

I'd appreciate suggestions for improving the graphics performance
of DEC Personal Workstations running Digital Unix.

Our users who typically run their apps on Sun Ultras
have complained that the DEC PWs are 8-10 times slower
on their benchmarks. They got a bunch of extra speedup
on the Ultras using an optimized XIL (I think) library.
Is this library (or an equivalent) available for the PWs?
But even without XIL, an Ultra1 is ~25% faster.

I think the PW has the PowerStorm 4D30T graphics card.

>From http://www.workstation.digital.com/products/graphics/gg_hware.html

                          DIGITAL PowerStorm and OEM Graphics

DIGITAL manufactures and OEMs graphics hardware to deliver state-of-the-art
3D acceleration at a variety of price and performance levels all designed
to meet the needs of professionals looking for ultimate visual computing
solutions.

Our PowerStorm graphics are defined by their ability to support: Alpha and
Intel microprocessors Windows NT and DIGITAL UNIX operating systems OpenGL PCI

Since DIGITAL has high-performance PCI bus built into every workstation,
our graphics hardware/software run on all shipping systems. And since PowerStorm
graphics take full advantage of DIGITAL's world-class OpenGL graphics
drivers, they can deliver exceptional performance under real-world conditions.