SUMMARY: Ethernet controller on AS500/500

From: Andrew Moar <ccam_at_spiral2.its.latrobe.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:04:40 +1100 (EST)

Thanks for the quick responses from:

Russel Morison <russel_at_maths.unsw.EDU.AU>
Richard Tame <Richard.Tame_at_asx.com.au>
Alan <alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>
Dr. Tom Blinn <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>

I was asking whether the AlphaStation 500/500 we received should have been
delivered with an 10/100Mbps ethernet controller.

Seems as though we got it wrong. It's a case of ask and ye shall receive.
We didn't ask, so we didn't receive. The most succinct answer came from
Dr. Tom Blinn:

> I am looking at the May 1997 supplement to the Digital Systems and
> Options catalog (the AlphaStation 500/500 is not in the current
> catalog). On page 1.12 there is a description of the various
> AlphaStation 500 systems; it says they come with 10 MB/s Ethernet (where
> "B" must mean "bit"). The DE500 is listed as an available option on
> page 1.58/1.59.

and Alan

> The last Systems and Options Catalog section for the
> AlphaStation 500 family that I printed (August 5, 1997)
> describes the Ethernet adapter as being a "high performance
> 10 MB/sec Twisted Pair(2) and ThinWire Ethernet". The
> footnote merely indicates what type of cable is needed.

Thanks to all,

Andrew
--
        Andrew Moar : Ph +61 3 9479 1505  email A.Moar_at_latrobe.edu.au
            Systems Programmer, Information Technology Services