Q: CPU consumption

From: Victor Huerta <vhuerta_at_iie.org.mx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:55:24 -0800

Hello Managers,

I work at the Electrical Research Institute in Mexico, where we have
developed a simulator on AlphaStation DEC computers. All processes
use shared memory that is accessed using general read and write
routines. These routines use semaphores to synchronize the access.
When I execute a process with 25 threads (each one calling the write
or read rotines), the CPU consumption arises from 35% to 95%, 25% user
and 70% system. If I eliminate the semaphores at the threads process,
the CPU consumption is only 37% aprox. I think there is a conflict when
using threads and semaphores simultaneously that arises the CPU consum-
ption of the system. I have to say that each thread calls to the read/
write routines.
In other AlphaStations of the same simulator where we don't use threads,
we do not have this consumption problem.

Do you know how to solve this problem ?

Ismael Daza

idaza_at_iie.org.mx