new alphaserver stuck during boot to gui

From: Bob Parkinson <rwplists_at_omni.library.nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:13:23 +0000 (GMT)

Dear All,

I received a new alphaserver 1200 with du4.0d yesterday and am in the
process of setting it up.

It locked up on me earlier this morning, and I was unable to get anything
out of it. I restarted the machine with the reset switch, but it has hung
during the gui boot phase. Its been sitting there for about 15 min. now
with the console log displayed at the bottom of the screen, and an
hourglass cusror, but nothing else.

The macine is reachable by telnet, but I had not got as far as enabling
root access from a remote terminal, or setting up any users with system
privileges.

Eeek.

Any recommendations for what I should do next?

Turn it off again, and hope for the best, or try and interupt the boot
and get it into a single user mode. If the latter, how please?

Bob

Bob.Parkinson_at_omni.ac.uk
Technical Officer: OMNI project http://omni.ac.uk/
        The tellytubbies love each other very much
                        Big Hug