Year 2000 Testing & Certification Issues

From: George Guethlein <GGuethlein_at_GiantOfMaryland.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 14:50:49 -0500

Managers (especially those with Year 2000 WOES !),

I apologize for the long message.

Based on his recent SUMMARY, I already posed the questions to
Emanuel Salazar <Emanuel.Salazar_at_mci.com> and Dr. Tom Blinn
<tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>. If anyone is interested in their response, just let me
know.

Now, To get into it ......

1.) DUnix 4.0D is the first release Digital is certifying as Y2K compliant.

2.) Digital has a Year 2000 web site (http://www.digital.com/year2000).
I just learned of it today and will be checking it out soon. Any info or
experiences about the site / services are welcome.

3.) I am currently tasked to complete Y2K system certification for the
DUnix servers in our shop, and I am hoping for some guidance and/or
time saving information. My current plan is as follows :
- I have an A/S 2100A that will be the test system.
- ALL testing will occur on a new Y2K Network that consists of a
Novell Y2K server in it's own NetWare 4.11 "tree" and an NT4.0 Y2K
server in it's own Y2K Domain. The Y2K network will be removed from
our production network backbone during testing. The Y2K Novell server
will be connected to the production network ** ONLY ** at the start of
each system/application cert test to allow restores of the application
software from production backups via our LAN.
- I would like to take a complete system backup (vdump/vrestore) from
my production servers (3 - A/S 4100's and an A/S 8400) and restore it
on the 2100 (Just the filesystems - /, /usr, /var, and the various users
directory structures).
- I plan on manually recreating the Informix database entities (files, links,
etc) and only using a subset of the database data (based on the space
left on the 2100).

Excluding the obvious hardware differences ( the 8400 has 512GB of
JBOD storage, the 4100's used RAID Arrays (410 & 7000) ), this sounds
feasible to me. Following are questions and things I ** think ** I have to
do :
- After the "/" restore would I have to rebuild the kernel ?
- What effect will the 4100 / 8400 kernel options have on the 2100
processor ?
- Will I have vdump/vrestore problems due to version issues with the
utility (I have hit this before) ?
- What will I have to modify to change the system name ?
- Is this the appropriate approach (verses a complete O/S re-install) ? I
would consider the testing more accurate if I actually used what was on
my production system (If I do a re-install I may forget some patches or
something).

- I am looking to DEC Field Support to verify that the hardware
(adapters, cpu's, disks, tapes, and ALL else) are Y2K certified, based on
part numbers, firmware, and rev. levels.
- I plan on reconfiguring NTP to poll the NT4.0 Y2K server.
- I am working around Third Party applications that have their own
certification issues with Informix 7.xx and/or DUnix 4.0x.

What have I forgotten ? I know there are other tasks involved. Basically,
I'm trying to develop the attack plan for management. I would like to make
it as accurate as possible so I can use it as a checklist too.

If you are interested in working towards a plan that can be shared
among us all, or if you already have one, please contact me.

I appreciate any information / input you can provide. Heck, thanks just
for reading this long-winded message !!!

George Guethlein
Lead Tech Sys Admin
Giant Food, Inc.
Landover, MD USA