SUMMARY: raid performance - which level is best ?

From: Ernie Constantine <ernie.constantine_at_reuters.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 19:36:58 +0000 (GMT)

     My original question : We are building a filesystem thru controller-based
RAID which will receive a large amount of small files (our mailserver will
write incoming mail to this system). I asked which RAID level will provide the
best performance on writes while providing data redundancy.
    The general consesus was that RAID 0+1 will provide better performance than
RAID 5, at the cost of disk storage. However, several respondents did note that
RAID 5 performance could be increased by purchasing disks with cache, and a few
were quite satisfied with RAID 5 performance.

thanks to everyone who responded, especially:
John Robens (jrobens_at_davidjones.com.au)
Jim Zelenka (jzij_at_andrew.cmu.edu)
Joseph Thvedt (jthvedt_at_larsondoors.com)
George Guethlein (gguethlein_at_giantofmaryland.com)
Alan (alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com)
Tom Webster (webster_at_ssdpdc.lgb.cal.boeing.com)
Robert Hayden (rhayden_at_means.net)

Ernie Constantine
Reuters Information Technology

ernie.constantine_at_reuters.com