xwd and xpr problems on DU 4.0C

From: Bryan G. Peterson <peterson_at_physc1.byu.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 17:47:09 +0000 (MST/MDT)

<I sent this last week and never saw it come out - if this is a repeat I really
apologize for it.>

We have been trying to get screen dumps from X-Windows on DU 4.0C (running CDE
and dtterm rather than DECWindows and decterm). The behavior is as follows:

xwd -out screen.dump
xpr -device ps -output screen.ps screen.dump

results in a useable output when dumping a graphics screen but gets only a
hollow block cursor when dumping a text screen.

xwd -out screen.dump
xpr -device ljet -output screen.pcl screen.dump

always results in the message
"/usr/bin/X11/xpr: Could not read xwd file's image."
no matter what type of screen was dumped.

I have also tried both cases with the "-xy" qualifier on the xwd command with
no apparent change. The first example (postscript) does work properly for a
text screen if used in an xterm displayed on a remote system.

Any insight on what we may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan Peterson
peterson_at_physc1.byu.edu