[Q] NCD keyboard

From: Jean-Loup Risler <risler_at_genetique.uvsq.fr>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:37:33 +0100

Dear Gurus,

Some time ago I posted a related message but, despite some answers
(particularly from Bernt Christandl) I could not solve my problem.

Here it is.

I've a number of NCD tubes (Xplora and XploraPro) hooked to my
2100 Alpha box running DU 4.0B. I run NCDWare 4.0.118

All of the X-tubes have NCD's N-108LK US keyboards.

The problem is with the large key just above the <RETURN> key that
I don't know how to call it (Backspace, Delete, Rubout,....).
Let's call it the <DEL> key.

Normally, I want it to delete the previous character. That's what it
does in e.g. dtterm or Nedit, or when I want to correct a typo when
a program prompts me for an answer.

However, this key deletes the NEXT character in e.g. Netscape or
Xftp or dtmail, which is a pain in the a^Hneck.

I've been suggested to make: xmodmap -e "keysym Delete = Backspace"

This works for Netscape, dtmail, Xftp, etc .... BUT ... then when
I make a typo at a program's prompt and want to correct it, then the
<DEL> key sends garbage, does not erase the previous character and
I'm stuck. The only fix is to ^C, re-run the program and pray all the
Gods for their misery.

Could you help me with this stupid and ennoying problem?

NCD suggested the "xmodmap" fix but, as I said, it just introduces
another problem.

Thanks and cheers,

Jean-Loup
| Jean-Loup Risler               |                                  |
| Universite de Versailles       | Tel: 33 (0)1 39 25 45 54         |
| Lab. Genome et Informatique    | Fax: 33 (0)1 39 25 45 69         |
| Batiment Buffon                |                                  |
| 45 Avenue des Etats-Unis       | email: risler_at_genetique.uvsq.fr  |
| 78035  Versailles Cedex France |                                  |
Les cerveaux sont malencontreusement pourvus d'estomac (J. Perrin)