eeprom corruption

From: Nick Batchelor <Nick.Batchelor_at_unilever.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:22:54 +0000 (Z)

     Dear All

     I wonder if anyone else has come across this...

     This weekend I was upgrading the firmware on our 8400 (2 CPU's,
     running 3.2G) with the v5 firmware CD. The firmware upgrade seemed to
     go ok and when returned to the UPD> prompt I exited to restart the
     machine as usual.

     During the hardware checks I started getting messages similar to the
     following:

     file open failed for eeprom0
     eeprom0 not updated

     After this the system reached the >>> prompt but would not boot. All
     the eeprom data seemed to have been lost ie. bootdef_dev, osflags etc
     etc and any attempt to reset any of these values resulted in the
     errors above.

     Called DEC and got good support from a guy who said that the eeprom
     for CPU 0 had got corrupted and that it needed to be reformatted. So
     we ran the following:

>>> set cpu 0
>>> build -e (then entered made up serial number and part number when
     prompted)
>>> set cpu 1
>>> build -e

     This reformatted both eeproms which allowed them to be written to
     again. As we had a print out of our previous settings, I put these
     back and all was well.

     We have put it down as "just one of those things" but if anyone has
     any more info on why it happens and whether it is preventable, I would
     be interested to hear.

     TIA

     Nick