Need Help writing a secure mountcd program

From: Steve McLaughlin <mclaughl_at_milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:05:25 -0500 (EST)

DU Gurus,

I'm trying to write a very secure version of mountcd that will do the
following:

1) When invoked, appends session information to security log.

2) Dynamically determines default CD-ROM device (not statically in the
   program).

3) Prompts user for a CD-ROM device and/or mount point that is not the
   default ones. If the user selects a non-default CD-ROM device, check
   the validity of it.

4) Check mount point directory to ensure it's valid and empty.

5) If all checks, mount CD-ROM.

6) Closes security log.

I've got all of this EXCEPT how to determine if a raw file is a valid
CD-ROM device. For example, in a shell script (our environment) the
following command works nicely,
 # file /dev/rrz*c | grep offline | cut -c 1-5,7-10
How can I do the equivalent in a C program? This is the only thing
left to do. I really don't want to wrap this is in a script or add a
system call to the program.

Many thanks in advance! I'll summarize.

Steve Mc.