/etc/auth/system/pw_id_map

From: Kevin Houle <kevin_at_netins.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:04:25 -0600 (CST)

Under DU 4.0B and C2 security, we're seeing /etc/auth/system/pw_id_map
go into loops of rebuilding itself over and over and over again. This
is causing I/O churn on the system disk, blocking of authentication
requests, and high system loads.

According to DEC documentation :

The /etc/auth/system/pw_id_map file is the user name to ID mapping
database. This file must be consistent. The system rebuilds this file
if it is not present.

Does anyone have anything more specific than "The system rebuilds
this file if it is not present"? Why would it rebuild over and over
again? It does this without passwd being in use, or any account
creation activity or changes to /etc/passwd happening at all. The
main user of authentication is qpopper2.4, which is using the
getespwnam() and getpwnam() calls.

Is there a kernel parameter which controls the rebuild of this
map file? Something else?

Thanks,

--
Kevin Houle