SUMMARY:Which NFS product for Alpha NT..

From: Wayne Sweatt <sweatt_at_dps.state.nm.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:43:08 -0700

Here was my original question:

>I need to NFS mount a directory on a Alpha 2100 Server running NT 3.51 from
an Alpha Station 200
>running DU 3.2.
>
>Can someone recommend a product that's reliable and inexpensive that would
accomplish this?
>The DU server would be performing NFS writes, and no reads.
>
>Thanks,
>Wayne

The response was great!
There were several recommendations. The one I chose was the FREE one: Samba
It's not NFS for NT, but rather SMB for UNIX. It did what I needed, which was to allow an NT Server
to access a directory on a DU Server. It compiled and installed easily. The configuration was simple
as well. It's SMB client utility is simplistic but useful, it uses a set of ftp-like commands to allow
transfers of files from A Unix FS to an NT folder.

Here's the list of Samba sites I received:

 http://samba.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba
or ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba
www.samba.com
http://samba.anu.edu.au/

Thanks to Glenn Newbery, Hans Kowallik, Paul Watson, and Alfred Moscola for the Samba
recommendations!

Here are the other, truly NFS products that were recommended:

NT to UNIX for nfs . So far nfs from hummingbird works quite ok. Girish Pahdke

OMNI-NFS is working well on our site. Cost is about 150$ Felix Maurer

I've used Hummingbird NFS Maestro with success & reliability Robert J. Otterson

We have used Hummingbird's Maestro and it seems to work well. Scott McCracken

Wayne Sweatt