Problem AS 1000A and installation DU 4.0D

From: Maurice Akkermans <makkerma_at_dscc.dk>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:03:51 +0100

Hello

I have two identical AS 1000A (machine X and Y), down to the revision numbers on the motherboards and CPU boards. Both have a PowerStorm 2MB (PBXGB-AA). Both machine have the latest firmware (CD 5.1) and have ECU 1.11a run for UNIX (disabled onboard graphics, which is not present). OS_TYPE=UNIX; CONSOLE=graphics; Alias jumper on graphics card ON (EV5) and single module jumper ON.
When I place in machine X the graphic card in primary PCI slot #12 the machine will boot from DU 4.0D installation CD without any problems. When I put it in primary PCI slot #11, it starts to boot and aborts the installation after a couple of minutes (just after initialising an advfs on the CD?).
On machine Y, it aborts the installation in both PCI slots.

Is there somekind of timing problem on the PCI bus which is very critical and different from machine to machine or graphic card to graphic card?

I have also tried to use other firmware version and different resolution settings on the graphic card.

Greetings,
Maurice Akkermans
DSC Communications A/S
makkerma_at_dscc.dk