SUMMARY setld problem?

From: Eugene Chu <chu_at_musp0.jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:57:31 -0800

Thanks to the following for their responses:

Dr. Tom Blinn (tpb_at_zk3.dec.com)
Kym Schwartz (schwarz_at_stl.dec.com)
Howard Thomas (howardt_at_ra.wiznet.net)

Who said that the name of the AdvFS option was actually MSFS. They also
said that the best way to make a new configuration file and build a
kernel is to boot up genvmunix and run doconfig and select the desired
components.

After removing MSFS from the config file, I was in fact able to build
the kernel without any of the AdvFS option sets. However, upon
rebooting, we still encountered the original error at the console:

setconf: bootdevice_parser failed

after which, it would again attempt to dump core, but since the main
boot device also had the swap partition, it just gave up.

After a few more iterations of booting with genvmunix, we looked in an
old backup copy of the config file, which showed us that this system was
using an Intraserver SCSI controller that had special components added
to the config file and the kernel. However, the current config file,
which must have been created when we installed all the SW subsets, cut
out all the necessary references. So the kernel built from this config
file could never find the disks, which were connected to the IT
controller. Once we restored the old config file, the kernel built with
no problems, and this kernel could actually boot up.

Thanks to all who responded. It's hard to diagnose problems over
e-mail, and harder yet when the system is not standard.

eyc