RIS and dupatch'ing (-root option)

From: Alan Garde <alan.garde_at_transport.uk.eds.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 10:17:44 +0000

Has anyone here had any success using the -root option on the dupatch supplied with DU 4.0B Jumbo Patch #6? I want to specify an alternative root (/mnt rather than /) so I can apply the patches during the postload part of a RIS install. The machine is still effectifely in single user mode (the dupatch script accepts this as being OK).

With the -root /mnt option dupatch correctly looks under /mnt and verifies what patches it can install. Unfortunately it then does a /usr/lbin/fitset / in line 908, i.e. checking the "real" root for space to do that patches rather than looking at the root I specified. This is a problem since under RIS /var is a memory filesystem so isn't big enuff... if it looked at my specified root there woule be no problem. Also, once I hacked this out, it tried to copy to the real /usr/.smdb. rather than the one under /mnt... again bad since /usr is a CDROM...

anyone got this working? Anyone have other ways to install the patches automagically whilst doing a RIS installation?

thanks,

Alan

Airport Systems Group, EDS
1-3 Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 9XA
Tel: 01256 742629, Fax: 01256 742700
email: alan.garde_at_transport.uk.eds.com