From: chas <panda_at_peace.com.my>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 00:02:17 +0800 (SGT)

Didn't get any follow ups but managed to fix the problem.
(Just sending back to the list for posterity ie. archive search):

Turned out that all 3 problems (blue screen hang on the CDE
after logging in; silent NIC; unlocking ptys taking a long time)
were related as suspected but the ptys were not the cause.
Instead, the firmware upgrade seems to have reset the ethernet
back to AUI, as opposed to Twisted Pair which we were using.
This was corrected with a quick :

>>> set ewa0_mode Twisted Pair

which cured the other problems too.

No doubt I overlooked something in the firmware/OS upgrade
regarding the ewa0_mode being reset.

chas