sendmail v8.8.8 config and Qpopper question

From: Paul N. Youngblood <youngbp_at_email.uah.edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 18:16:07 -0600 (CST)

Hello managers,

I'm trying to build & install sendmail version 8.8.8 on an
AlphaServer 2100 running DU 4.0B. My current sendmail version
is 5.65v4.0 which is what came with DU 4.0B. I'm also running
the pop mail server Qpopper on this machine.

MY QUESTION IS: Will pop service to/from my pop mail users fail
to work correctly if I just use the generic config file
"generic-osf1.cf" that came with the v8.8.8 distribution,
or, do I need to add a MAILER declaration for pop in the
"generic-osf1.mc" file, and generate a new .cf with m4 ???

In other words, do I need to append the line "MAILER(pop)dnl"
to the "generic-osf1.mc" file and then m4 it? Here's the entire
original "generic-osf1.mc" file -- it's very short:
divert(-1)
# ... some comments ...
divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`_at_(#)generic-osf1.mc 8.3 (Berkeley) 3/23/96')
OSTYPE(osf1)dnl
DOMAIN(generic)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

I am very "green" when it comes to sendmail, popmail, etc, and
understand I have a great deal to learn about these programs.
I would really appreciate any light you might shed on this.
I've consulted the docs and "the bat book" from O'Reilly,
but still have this question. Maybe I missed the obvious...
>From searching the archives and from an earlier request for
information on sendmail, I already know that I should compile
with the -DNEWDB flag and link against -ldb, and also that
I need to use the GNU m4, since the m4 in DU 4.0B is broken.

Thank you for your help.

Paul Youngblood
University of Alabama in Huntsville