[SUMMARY] missing genvmunix

From: Jason Birch <jbirch_at_psp.pair.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 16:34:15 -0700

Many thanks to the following for timely and informative responses:

"Maurer Felix, IP5" <maurerf_at_post.ch>
"V.S. Glukhov" <glukhov_at_sequence.Stanford.EDU>
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>

The following summary is based on my original questions:

>I'm having a bit of a problem because the previous sys admin for this box
>did the following
> - deleted the /sys/GENERIC directory

I was wrong on this one. Despite the fact that the manual suggests
recovering the genvmunix by copying the backup from /sys/GENERIC, the
/sys/GENERIC directory does not exist by default :)

>Because of this, I cannot boot to a generic kernel in order to rebuild.

Again, though the manual states otherwise, it is not strictly required to
boot to a generic kernel. It is only required when you have new hardware
to integrate that may not have support compiled into the curent kernel.

> - Is the vmunix on the install CD the same as /genvmunix ? If not,
> is it available elsewhere?

According to Dr. Tom Blinn, the "vmunix" on the media kit for the
V3.2C kit is likely the old "SAS" kernel (don't ask me what that is) and
NOT genvmunix. He suggested extracting the original genvmunix from the
dist cd (I found it in the OSFHWBASE subset) via uncompress and tar, which
is the route that I took.

> - If it is, can I recreate the /sys/GENERIC directory by booting
> to /genvmunix and doing a doconfig -c GENERIC (the conf file is
> still in place).

Again, doconfig -c GENERIC does not require that you boot to a generic
kernel to run it. Also, it is not likely that you will not get a true
genvmunix by doing this, and you have to be careful not to build layered
products into the kernel. I avoided this approach.

Thanks for all the help,

Jason Birch
Pacific Spatial Systems Ltd.