From: Mark Schlam <mslist_at_castle.beaver.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:12:01 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to all who responded; here are some useful responses
from Sean and Kevin.

From: Sean O'Connell
I have seen this be caused by improper .files usually the
.xsession or some such. either having an error or not being
executable. I have also seen this happen with a bad alias or
two corrupting a .cshrc. If you are using CDE, I cannot help
too much. However, if you are using xdm, try logging in on the
console and letting it failover and then look at your .xsession-errors
file and or /var/X11/xdm/xsession-errors. Another tactic would be
to use a failsafe login (hit F1 instead of a return after your
password).

From: Kevin Oberman
> > If it's traditional Motif, tale a look for
> > /.xsession-errors and if it's CDE, look at /.dt/sessions/errorlog and
> > /.dt/sessions/startlog.

Take a close look at /.profile. It is being execed because (I assume)
you have edited /.dtprofile to have it do so.

It is critical that there be no code executed from the .dtprofile
which tries to talk to the terminal. There is none and it will fail,
possibly fatally. Try commenting out the DTSOURCEPROFILE line in
.dtprofile.
#DTSOURCEPROFILE=true
and see if that allows the login to work. If so, see /.dtprofile for a
discussion of setting up .profile to avoid this problem. (N.B. I've
found some commands which I had not expected to cause problems do so,
so the editing may have to be partly trial and error.

Original question posted: