SUMMARY: Auto-configuring of peripherals

From: Duncan Webbe <dwebbe_at_davidjones.com.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 09:38:16 +1000 (EST)

> Does DU support auto-configuring ?
>
> We've just connected a Digital tape stacker to our new 8400 running 4.0D
> and want to create device files to access it. How do we do that ?

Thanks to Alan Rollow, Girish Phadke, Roberto Romani and others for their
informative responses.

Does DU support auto-configuring ? Yes & no. For devices on an existing
SCSI bus you don't have to rebuild the kernel for the new device. If
adding a new SCSI adaptor then you do have to. Try using the command
scu to scan the bus for new devices eg. scu scan edt (use scu show edt
to show all buses).

How to create the tape drive devices files ?
        cd /dev
        ./MAKEDEV tzX (where X is the SCSI id ot the tape drive)

X = bus number * 8 + SCSI target id

(As mentioned above, scu show edt can be used to determine which bus the
tape drive is connected to).

Duncan Webbe

Unix Systems Administrator
David Jones Ltd.