Bootp and Decserver 90TL

From: Britton Johnson <johnson_at_lindenwood.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:36:06 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings all,

        Last night it seems that our power went out, whiping the memory of
a group of terminal servers (Decserver 90TL) and they can't seem to reload
their software. Working through lots of different roads I've determined
that yes the LAN wires are active and that the servers just can't seem to
find their software. (# light is flashing, cycles from light 8 - 5 and
back etc...) The manual says that is what it is doing at least. I've
swapped terminal servers thinking that it might just be fried, but it all
looks the same.
        About a month ago we switched our network around moving all users
from an Ultrix box running Decnet to an Alpha running OSF 4.0b and bootp.
I never bothered to consider that the terminals never get powered down and
that this might happen, I just assumed that bootp and decnet were doing
their jobs based on what my previous admin had showed me. A note, the OSF
box has gone from inside of our firewall to outside (non-segregated
wires.. just i.p.'s making the difference really) and the Ultrix box went
from outside to inside. They basicaly swapped identities (names, ip's,
etc).
        Now, I went to check up on bootp and found that bootptab is a 0
filesize. Ugh. Can someone send me a sample bootptab that I can look at
(even with bogus data so long as I can see the format) and try to piece
together a working bootp for our terminal servers? I also was wondering
will the bootp machine being on the outside of the firewall (TIS firewall
kit) keep it from being seen by the terminal servers? If possible I would
appreciate seeing a sample from someone using the same terminal servers as
I am. This is very new turf to me and I appreciate any help at all.

Thanks very much in advance.

Britt

    Britton Johnson, Ass't System Admin.
   Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO