2GB partition size restriction for PCNFS clients

From: Ian Colquhoun <ian.colquhoun_at_sheridanc.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:57:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Managers,

In our environment we have DOS5/Windows 3.11 clients on our network being
served home directories and applications via PCNFS from Digital Unix 4.0D
servers. The problem is that DOS is restricted to a maximum partition size
of 2GB so we have had to create 150+ partitions across multiple servers.
This is far from ideal obviously.

The real problem now is that we are looking at getting a large
StorageWorks RAID system using 9GB drives in a RAID 5 config. If we do
this, we will have to have logical discs of no more than 3 drives, using 7
2GB partitions on each logical disc. This will result in 4GB of wasted
disc space per logical disc. Not good.

My question is: Is there any way to get pcnfsd to report to the clients
that they are using a 2GB partition regardless of the real partition size?

---
Ian Colquhoun
ian.colquhoun_at_sheridanc.on.ca
System Administrator - Sheridan College