Possible (temp) solution for Symlink/Core Security Hole (repeat)

From: William Flett <will_at_dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:15:10 +0100 (BST)

 Dear All,

 Sorry to waste everyone's time but I thought somebody would comment on
 the possible solution to the core dump/symlink problem. As yet I've not
 received a single reply.

Suggested solution:

> Simply remove the world read permission from the offending SUID
> programs. This seems to have the effect of stopping anyone forcing a
> core dump of those nasty priveleged programs without any obvious bad
> side effects.

 Is it reasonable ? We've tried it and can't see any problems. The
 implication is an elegant long term fix for all such core dump related
 problems with SUID programs. It could also secure your system before the
 patch is available. I will summarise.

 Many thanks,

 -Will

Computer Science Department | mail: W.Flett_at_dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk
Royal Holloway, University of London | talk: +44 1784 443428 (direct)
Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX, England | fax: +44 1784 439786