GCC and other questions

From: Bill Piepmeyer <billp_at_solsticeinc.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:55:44 -0500

Hi DU managers,

I'm new to the alpha world (finally upgrading from Ultrix) and have a
lot to learn. I just gained use of a used alpha with DU 4.0a on it. I
soon discovered that I am without a C compiler or any manuals. Thus I
have several questions.

1) Where can I find gcc binaries and include(header) files for it.
2) I found mention of a freeware CD in the archives that has GCC, any
   ideas of where to get hold of one.
3) nslookup works great but telnet, ftp etc. can seem to resolve names.
4) How do I allow users to "su" and be root.

Hopefully some day I will have some man entries (CD is on order now) and
be a little more self sufficient.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Bill Piepmeyer
billp_at_solsticeinc.net