From: Donald Bovee <bovee_at_amath.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:59:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Donald Bovee wrote:

> I upgraded from DU4.0 to 4.0d, added DEC's fast ethernet card (at tu1) and
> mrouted (3.8 supplied by Digital) now crashes the system within seconds of
> starting with the error:
>
> trap: invalid memory read access from kernel mode
>
> Is there anyone running mrouted on Digital Unix 4.0d? If so, are you using
> the version supplied by Digital (/usr/sbin/mrouted)? Could the old
> ethernet interface be causing trouble (ewa0) even though vmunix doesn't
> configure it?

The problem was submitted to the Digital Unix team. A patch that fixes the
mroute code in inet.mod should make it into the jumbo patch for DU4.0d
that will come out this summer. The fix has also been added to the source
pool for 4.0e. If you want to get mrouted working now, you will need to
contact the Customer Support Center and reference CLD HPAQ4123H in order
to get a pre-patch patch.

My thanks to Digital for fixing this.

Don Bovee