SUMMARY: MRU Didn't find any more my robot

From: Daniel Clar <Daniel.Clar_at_supelec.fr>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 10:46:57 +0200

The original question was :
> I'm running DU V4.0D with Networker 4.4 and MRU 1.2 since weeks.
>
> I've tried today to dome some tape management with MRU and what a surprise
> the answer is always /dev/mc6b is not responding.
>
> If I try to acces to the tapes through the media changer and networker,
> it's possible for me to mount and unmount tapes so /dev/nrmt0h is
> responding well.
>
> I've reinstalled MRU but nothing has changed. I've recreated my mc device
> and verified that mc6b is the good device and it's ok
>
> tz6 at scsi0 target 6 lun 0 (LID=6)
> _(HP C1557A U610)
> changer at scsi0 target 6 lun 1
> _(LID=7) (HP C1557 _U610)
>
> In fact, the only thing that has changed since my last use of MRU is that
> there was a power off and a power on.

Thank you to :
"William H. Magill" <magill_at_isc.upenn.edu>
<john_at_iastate.edu> John Hascall

and to alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com (Alan Rollow - Dr. File System's Home for Wayward
Inodes.) who answered very late in the night ;-)

Many advices were given : power off/on, use scu, verify SCSI bus, verify
major/minor numbers. But the solution was not there because all these
things gave good results.

This morning, I've tried to recreate the two special files in /dev, i.e.,
mc6b and mc_mkdev to see if the major number has not changed (thank you
Alan). So I've removed them and used MAKEDEV.MC and the reason was there :

Please use a kernel with the media changer driver before building these
files !

My kernel didn't have the adequate drivers !?!?!?

In fact, since the last usage of MRU, I've rebuilt a kernel because I've
removed a second SCSI controller from my configuration and from some oscure
reason the media changer drivers were not included in the kernel. So i've
rebuilt a new kernel just with doconfig and the drivers were included.
Another surprise is that the 2 special files were rebuilt automatically
during the reboot.

So it's working now, but the mystery is still there about the lack of
drivers in the previous kernel.

Daniel

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o
| Daniel Clar e-mail : Daniel.Clar_at_supelec.fr |
| Computer Operations Manager : dc_at_supelec.fr |
| Service Informatique Supelec and |
| Plateau de Moulon DECUSF::CLAR_D or |
| 91192 Gif sur Yvette Cedex - France Daniel.Clar_at_decus.fr |
| Tel : (33 1) 69 85 14 87 Fax : (33 1) 69 85 12 34 |
o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o