SUMMARY2: Name Resolution in web logs

From: Joseph C King <jking_at_chablis.cos.com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 11:44:57 -0400

Thanks for all the answers

I have switched the order of the hosts in the /etc/hosts file and
everything is fine.

Joe

Replies
-------
From: C.Ruhnke <i769646_at_smrs013a.mdc.com>

Joe,

I don't know what the effect of "hosts=bind,local" would be but in my ASE
I have my /etc/hosts entries use the fully qualified node name as the primary
entry and the shorthand name as the secondary E.g.

     123.45.67.8 foo.bar.com foo

and things work just ducky!

Now when you throw Networker Save & Restore (NSR) into the works, if you
change the primary name, you are also changing the name that NSR uses
for its "client" identification and you will end up with new indexes. That
is, you will have backups for "foo" prior to the change and "foo.bar.com"
after the change. [Thus speaks the voice of experience!]

--CHRis
----------------
From: Jerome M Berkman <jerry_at_uclink.berkeley.edu>

I am not an expert on DNS and such, but I would guess that using bind
before /etc/hosts will cause a lot of unnecessary DNS lookups, and
slow up the system. How about leaving /etc/svc.conf as "hosts=local,bind",
but change the /etc/hosts line to:

123.45.67.8 foo.bar.com foo

Does that work?

        - Jerry Berkman, UC Berkeley

-----------------
From: Tom Smith <smith_at_alum.mit.edu>

The first name in /etc/hosts should _always_ be the fully qualified
name. When that's done, there's no problem with having "local,bind"
in svc.conf.

-Tom

--------------------
From: "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>

You can change this by having the /etc/hosts file formatted correctly.

Changing your BIND/DNS lookup order is the wrong solution. Fix your "hosts"
file to have the fully qualified name first on the line (after the IP
address) followed by any local aliases. That's the documented format, your
file is formatted wrong.

See the hosts reference page for details.

All the standard tools we provide for editing the hosts file (except for the
dumb editors) do this right for you.

--
Joseph C. King              |