SUMMARY: vchkdir and msfsck

From: Jean-François Blanchet <JFBLANCHET_at_DGEQ.QC.CA>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 08:38:32 -0400

My question originate from the response of Richard Jackson from the
summary of Peter Braack : Mysterious HSZ 40/50/70 problems.
Richard talk about ADVFS utilities under DU3.2x, vchkdir and msfsck.

My Original post:

Where I can find more information about the use of vchkdir and msfsck?
There is no man page.

Thank again to Dr. Tom Blinn. (and his contact)

   These tools weren't really supported in V3.2 so we didn't have
manpages. However, they were combined into verify which is in V4.0
and
does have a manpage. The customer didn't say what version he was
running. We had some description in our notesfile for msfsck and vchkdir
as follows:

msfsck

This is the ADVFS bitfile-subsystem metadata structure checker. It
verifies low-level meta-structures like the BMT, storage bitmap, and
tag directories.

The file domain must be inactive to run msfsck. You also need at least
one mounted fileset (this is because msfsck uses the .tags directory in
the fileset to access the metadata).

To run it, first 'cd' to the mount point of a mounted fileset.
Then, run "/usr/field/msfsck -t <domain-name>".

vchkdir

This is the ADVFS directory structure checker and fixer. It verifies
thatthe directory structure is correct and that all directory entries
reference a valid file (tag) and that all files (tags) have a directory
entry. The -f flag will create symlinks in "<mount-point>/lost+found/"
to all files (tags)that do not contain a directory entry; these are
called lost files. The -f flag also remove 'dead' directory entries
(ones that do not point to valid tags).

The -d option will delete lost files and it will delete corrupted
directories. Note, that you may need to run vchkdir several times
to cleanup a fileset.

The file domain must be inactive to run vchkdir. The fileset to be
checked/fixed must be mounted.

To run it do "/usr/field/vchkdir <mount-point>".

You might want to check as to what we can send to the customer.
Basically these tools don't do an awful lot to fix up corruptions. If
they have a corrupt domain (they didn't say why they wanted the
documentation did they?), the best bet is to just restore it from
backup.

Jean- Francois Blanchet Le Directeur general des
Technologie Unix-Oracle elections du Quebec
Tel : (418) 644-9339 3460 de la Perade
Fax: (418) 643-7291 Sainte-Foy (Quebec)
B: jfblanchet_at_dgeq.qc.ca G1X 3Y5
M: jfblanchet_at_videotron.ca CANADA