DNS Crashes on 5/1/98

From: Robert A. Hayden <rhayden_at_means.net>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 14:00:50 -0500 (CDT)

I administrate several 3.2x OSF boxes all over the state and a rather odd
thing happened on Friday, May 1. All of them suddenly had their DNS die
(the default 4.x BIND from the install package) leaving a big core file.
A simple clearing of the PID file and restart of the process fixed it, but
due to the size of the core files and the small / partitions, some
machines had....problems.

Anyways, I was wondering if there are any known bugs or such with the 3.2x
install BIND that might have caused this crash? The long and the short is
that about 15 machines had BIND die, while the couple that I've upgraded
to BIND 8 lived just fine.

Most peculiar...

Robert Hayden rhayden_at_means.net UIN: 3937211
IP Network Administrator http://rhayden.means.net
MEANS Telcom (612) 230-4416