SUMMARY: NIS slave - can't log into

From: Dan Kirkpatrick <dkirk_at_suhep.phy.syr.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:57:42 -0400

Thanks to:
"Sean O'Connell" <sean_at_stat.Duke.EDU>
Yizhong Zhou <zhou_at_mathworks.com>
"Knut Hellebų" <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>
Gyula Szokoly <szgyula_at_tarkus.pha.jhu.edu>
Ian Mortimer <mortimer_at_physics.uq.edu.au>

The problem has cleared itself up. I tried re-running 'nissetup' and it
didn't fix it. There was not an identical account in the local
/etc/passwd. There was a +: in /etc/passwd to enable all accounts in the
nis maps. I tried a reboot and it didn't fix it. I made sure
"passwd=local,yp" was in /etc/svc.conf. I also made sure the following
were in /etc/rc.config:
NIS_CONF="YES"
NIS_TYPE="SLAVE"
NIS_DOMAIN="mydomain"
NIS_ARGS="-s -S mydomain,ypslave,ypmaster"

The only thing I can think that cleared it up was a combination of the
reboot, and resetting the ypservers map (using makedbm).

On another small note, I always get a "Map 'ypslaves.domainname' is empty
for domain 'domainname'. Should I do anything about this?

Thanks!
Dan

>I've set up NIS under base security, with a master and slave, and several
clients.
>I can log into all machines except the slave using my NIS account.
>I can log in anywhere whether ypwhich gives master or the slave, but
cannot log into the slave. When I'm on the slave, I can do a ypcat of
passwd and see my account (same encrypted passwd as master)

>Here's the /etc/svc.conf:
>aliases=local,yp
>group=local,yp
>hosts=local,bind,yp
>netgroup=local,yp
>networks=local,yp
>passwd=local,yp
>protocols=local,yp
>rpc=local,yp
>services=local,yp
>auth=local,yp
>
>SECLEVEL=BSD # for backwards compatibility ONLY
>

>ypbind and ypserv are running.
>I tried stopping and restarting NIS... still no.
>
>Thanks!
>Dan
Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk_at_phy.syr.edu
Systems Manager